Hornby Island community kitchen, The Kitchen, has a simple goal: to feed folks who may need some support around healthy eating. We also provide opportunities for all Hornby Islanders to come together to share food, build connections between all ages and socio-economic groups, and to celebrate community.
The Kitchen provides a hot meal year-round on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays; 12:30-1:00 at Joe King Ball Park. Home delivery is available on request.
The Kitchen offers tasty, nutritious meals prepared and served by cooks and volunteers with ‘FoodSafe’ training. The service is financed by donations from the community of both food and money, the BC Gaming Commission, and Food Banks BC. We also receive support from United Way, Comox Valley Community Foundation, Comox Valley Regional District, Food Banks Canada, and Food Banks BC to purchase food and upgrade equipment.
- Serves free meals, while encouraging donations of money, produce, or volunteer efforts.
- Delivers nourishing meals to those unable to get to The Kitchen.
- Educates about health, food security and social issues.
- Helps break the isolation of many people – singles, seniors, and single parents, people with chronic illness, disabilities or mental health issues.
- Offers opportunities for anyone to become involved, try new things, find their niche, and make a contribution.
Hornby Food Bank ~ Bounty To Share
The Food Bank operates Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays; 11:00 am – 1:00 pm.
The Hornby Island Co-op has been a generous donor to both The Kitchen and Food Bank. We continue to be supported by Ford’s Cove Store, Tannadice Farms, the Hornby Island Community Garden, and local growers.
To all of you who donate on a regular basis, please accept our heartfelt appreciation from all of us at The Kitchen and HIES.