Literacy Outreach Coordinator – Position Description
The role of the Literacy Outreach Coordinator, LOC, is to work in conjunction with a local Literacy Task Group to identify the Hornby community’s literacy needs, to facilitate collaboration among various groups and to create and implement a literacy plan.
Overall goal of the position is to facilitate, stabilize and sustain the literacy programming that results from collaborative community planning. This position is for 5 hours per week September – May. HIES seeks an individual who will be a good fit for the organization and is committed to community education on Hornby Island. The specific LOC objectives are as follows:
- Identify literacy needs within our community
- Create awareness and understanding about literacy
- Develop and strengthen partnerships and communication between community organizations
- Be a part of province-wide community of literacy practice
- Relevant post-secondary education or equivalent experience
- Demonstrated knowledge of literacy issues and learning challenges
- Proven ability to facilitate groups, organize and manage projects
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Community development experience
- To identify needs of the adult learners in the community and to coordinate meetings with local groups
- To develop and implement the ‘Raise a Reader’ program
- Work and develop Life Long Learning opportunities within the community as identified by Literacy Task Group and community survey
- To create community awareness of the different forms of literacy
- To recruit and support volunteer tutors
- To organize literacy programs in small group sessions
- Support literacy instructions in other services such as community kitchen or employment skills program
Position funded by Decoda Literacy Solutions
Wage: $ 25./hour.
Closing date: Wednesday, November 18, 2020 @ noon
Email resume and cover letter to: email@example.com
Please note, this position could possibly be combined with the Community School Coordinator position.