- Parent groups meet weekly or bi-weekly at the Community School while school is in session. Wednesdays 9am-10:30 at the School for information call: 250-335-2885
- Child, youth and family counselling takes place by appointment at the Health Care Society’s office at 1965 Sollans Rd.
- CLBC Support and Services for Adults and Families
- Life Skills for your TEEN’s independent living
- For more information on either of these programs or to call and make an appointment, contact Mike Nestor at 250-898-0247.
Comox Valley Family Services 250- 338-7575
Teen/Parent Mediation 250-335-2343
Compassionate Friends: 250- 923-2485
Dial-a-Law offers information on a wide variety of legal topics in both written and Audio formats.
Family Law (click on numbers for text scripts, and on Audio for mp3).
Vivienne Gorringe: Legal Advocate for welfare, disability, debt, CPP-D, etc. will be available to work directly with clients on Hornby and Denman Islands. Free by appointment. Telephone: 250-338-7793 ext. 229 Fax: 250-871-0803 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
If your family is in crisis NOW, please call 1-888-494-3888, 24/7
Community Based Victim Services Victim Services can provide you with emotional and practical support as well as information that will help you deal with the impact of crime or trauma in your life. This service is free and provided by trained and caring volunteers.
Two distinct aspects. Open referral and no cost:
- Sexual Assault Services: Serves male and female victims of child sexual abuse, sexual assault, and historical abuse survivors. Contact Isabel McKinnon at 250-338-7575 local 224 for more information.
- Domestic Violence Unit: Serves both male and female victims of domestic violence, harassment and stalking cases. Contact Jennifer Woods at 250-338-7575 local 226 for more information.
Both programs provide crisis intervention, ongoing support, information and counseling and referral options. Also provides accompaniment to hospital, RCMP and court.
Depression in Teenagers What parents need to know
Family Support Institute: 1-800-441-5403
Foster Parent Support Services Society: 1-888-922-8437
Adoptive Families Association of BC: 604-320-7330
HELP GUIDE A trusted non-profit health resource created in collaboration with Harvard Medical school
Knowledge Network Youth & Mental Health Documentaries & interactive website on depression | anxiety | behavior | psychosis
Parent Advisory Council Advocacy Service: 604-687-4433
Parent Help Line: 1-888-603-9100Parent Support Services Society: 1-800-665-6880
Parentline: 250-338-7141 – support group for parents of teens
Parents, Friends, Family of Gays and Lesbians: 250-338-2718
Society of Special Needs Adoptive Parents: 604-687-3114
YANA (you are not alone): 250-334-0511 – provides assistance with children’s travel to access medical services.
Useful Books for Teens (and their parents)
Many of these books can be ordered from the public library. Most of the books are available for sale from amazon.ca by clicking the title of the book.